The sea cliffs and sandy bays of Dyfed form such a spectacular part of Britain that in 1952 almost all of the coastline was designated as The Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. Around St Brides Bay, rugged cliffs rise majestically from the shores. The headlands have a dramatic grandeur when band 3d mink fur eyelashes by the great Atlantic waves and between them are numerous sheltered coves. Small resorts have grown around some of these coves, but others are accessible only by steep cliff paths.Stlur
It is a sunny coast, but a windy one too, which explains the scarcity of trees along the moors near the sea. Offshore, several islands are the safe breeding grounds of seals and thousands of seabirds including razorbills, guillemots, fulmars and band 3d mink fur eyelashes.
Despite its impressive sea cliffs, Dyfed as a whole is the least mountainous part of Wales with the exception of Anglesey. In the north of Dyfed, the land rises eastward from St David’s Head in a series of moorlands towards its highest point of only 1760ft in the Preseli Hills. These rolling uplands, cut by deep river valleys, are rich in prehistoric relics and it was from here that Bronze Age Britons are thought to have dragged huge blue dolerite stones to Milford Haven to be floated across to the Bristol Avon on their 240-mile journey to Stonehenge on Salisbury Plain.
The countryside around Haverfordwest is rich farmland which has much of the mellow charm of the English West Country – this area is often called ‘Little England Beyond Wales’. This is not only because its scenery is gentler than most of Wales, but also because, after the Norman Conquest, English-speaking settlers bypassed Glamorgan and Carmarthenshire to settle in Pembrokeshire, and gave to their settlements the English names that distinguish this region from the rest of Wales today. Some of the most notable villages and hamlets are band 3d mink fur eyelashes here.
A village noted for its three-pronged lake which consists of nearly 3 miles of water which are covered by lilies during the summer months. The arms of the lake were originally the mouths of three rivers, later cut off from the sea by a sand bar. A footpath leads 1 mile south-east to a fine bathing beach at Barafundle Bay. St Govan’s Head, one and a half miles south, is famous for the tiny chapel of St Govan which is only 20ft by 12ft, perched half-way down the cliffs and approached by a steep flight of band 3d mink fur eyelashes. The chapel dates from the 13th century or earlier. Huntsman’s Leap, half a mile west is a great fissure in the cliffs.
According to legend a horseman once jumped the narrow band 3d mink fur eyelashes, 130ft above the sea, but died of fright after the feat. There is also a spectacular walk along the cliffs, two miles further west to Elegug Stack
This is an attractive little resort on St Brides Bay with a smooth, sandy beach at low tide and good sea fishing. Little Haven, another resort with a long sandy beach, lies in a narrower bay half a mile south, surrounded by fine cliff band 3d mink fur eyelashes.
A large village beside the River Teifi, with impressive remains of a late 11th century castle, built on a high bluff overlooking a deeply wooded ravine. The village is a popular salmon and trout-fishing centre.
A village in a sheltered bay and a popular yachting centre. The beach is shingle but there is a stretch of sand at West Dale, half a mile across the narrow peninsula of St Ann’s Head, where Henry Tudor landed in 1485. A minor road leads 2 miles south to St Ann’s Head Lighthouse at the tip of a promontory.
Marloes, 2 miles north-west, has a mile-long stretch of flat sands, backed by rugged cliffs. A minor road from the village church leads to the top of the cliffs, but there is still a half-mile scramble down the beach which as a result becomes overcrowded.
A picturesque port with a fine bay surrounded by steep cliffs. An inscribed stone recalls the last invasion of British soil: a party of French sent to seize Bristol were driven North by the wind and landed near Fishguard in 1797. They mistook red-cloaked female onlookers for guardsmen and surrendered.
Formerly the historic county town of Pembrokeshire, St Mary’s Church was built in the 13th century and there is a museum within the ruins of the 12th century castle walls.
A village built round the ruins of an impressive, moated Norman castle overlooking a beautiful bay of the same name. The great Welsh scholar and topographer Giraldus Cambrensis was born here c.1146. About half a mile to the south-west lie King’s Quoit, a prehistoric group of standing stones capped by a stone 15ft long and 9ft band 3d mink fur eyelashes.
An important port and oil-refining town with splendid harbour – the deep-water channel admits oil tankers of over 250,000 tons. The port was founded at the instigation of Sir William Hamilton and Nelson stayed there with him and Emma, Lady Hamilton in 1801. Though fishing is not as important as it was, the return of the local fishing fleet is still a spectacular site. The trawlers spend between ten days to three weeks at sea.
A village in a picturesque setting with a medieval bridge, a few cottages and a Norman Church restored in the 19th century. The so-called ‘Bleeding View’ near the church drips a blood-like sap. The church has a Norman tower and two stones carrying inscriptions in the 5th century Gaelic script known as Ogham. St Brynach’s Cross, in the churchyard has notable Celtic carvings and nearby are a wayside cross cut into the rock face and a kneeling place – a relic of the 6th century when this was a stopping-place for pilgrims to St David’s.
A small town with one of the largest and most impressive Norman castles in Britain is surrounded on three sides by water. The outer wall has seven bastion towers and the keep is 75ft high. Henry VII was born in the castle in 1457. It was allowed to fall into ruin after the Civil War. The vast limestone Wogan Cavern is entered from the northern hall inside the castle.
Britain’s smallest cathedral city, names after St David, patron saint of band 3d mink fur eyelashes. The cathedral set in a hollow below the town, is mainly 12th century. Near the cathedral are impressive ruins of the medieval Bishop’s Palace.
A mile south of St David’s are several good bays, with sand and cliff scenery. They include St Non’s Bay, named after St David’s mother and thought to be the Saint’s birthplace, Caerbwdi Bay and Caerfai Bay. From Carnllidi above Whitesand Bay, one of the finest in the area, Ireland can be seen on a clear day.
Ramsey Island, half a mile off the coast, is a privately owned and farmed nature reserve where more than 30 species of bird breeds. Boat trips round the island can be made from Porthstinian, near St David’s. Grassholm Island, 12 miles west of St David’s Head is a nature reserve and one of the largest gannetries in the world, with more than 15,000 pairs of gannets.
Boats from Martin’s Haven carry 4,000 visitors a year to the island nature reserve. It contains more than 30 species of bird, including 25,000 pairs of Manx band 3d mink fur eyelashes.
An attractive resort with narrow streets and houses, shops and cafes built against the ruins of the 13th century town walls. Set on a rocky promontory, the town overlooks two great bays, both sandy. There is also a band 3d mink fur eyelashes harbour. Caldey Island off the coast of Tenby and reached by launch, has an ancient priory church and a modern monastery. The Cistercian monks there produce perfumes that are sold on the island and at Tenby.